GSD Contracting participated in the challenge of transforming the stark, 80’s architecture of the former Saks Fifth Avenue retailer into a contemporary retail space and office center. The dated, big-white-box look of the exterior needed a contemporary and appealing update. Changes needed to be made internally to accommodate new functionality, too.
This describes some of the work done for the renovation:
- One half of Saks Fifth Avenue became a new bi-level H&M store.
- One half of the upper level now provides office space for the new Regus Office Center, with a loft-like design, featuring concrete floors and brick walls.
- New elevator and escalator locations were established, necessitating structural retrofitting of the 1980’s pre-cast shell building.
- More challenging was the opening of two large exterior walls to accommodate the installation of decorative curtain wall glass structures, flooding the formal walled spaces in natural light. While this was underway it was critical for GSD to literally not flood the Red Door Spa in operation below!
- As is typical of such projects, all work required a sensitivity of overall retail operations, access, and public safety.
This retail construction job held many challenges. For example, GSD Contracting raced while under a Hurricane Watch to install the curtain wall glass. Doing anything else would have left the center vulnerable to more damages and cause missed deadlines. This retail construction services company met that challenge and installed the glass walls in time to avert a catastrophe. There are more details about this exciting and professional window installation and some photos of the completed glass here on the GSD Contracting blog.
This story had a very happy ending. The work resulted in a dynamic and useful space that has attracted a variety of new retail stores and more shopping traffic from customers. In fact, H&M reported their biggest store opening in the entire country with sales that doubled their own initial predictions.
Contact GSD Contracting for Retail Construction Services
Your retail construction project deserves an experienced and professional partner who understands your unique needs and won’t be satisfied unless you are. With over 25 years of experience in the construction business in South Florida, GSD Contracting can offer you a commitment to delivering quality work on time and within budget. To discuss your ideas and plans, you may call Greg DeJohn directly at 954.961.4222 ext. 106 or contact us online.